The Redball programme, based on Cricket Scotland’s Curriculum for Excellence strategy, is designed to allow maximum participation, assist teachers and pupils to achieve curriculum outcomes, and ensure cricket is delivered in a fun and engaging way.
The increased support from Drum has allowed Aberdeenshire Cricket Club to continue to extend the programme adding additional schools, provide lunch and after school clubs, increase the number of school festivals and expand cricket delivery out with primary schools.
Over the 2018 to 2019 school year the Redball team:
- Expanded the programme to 17 schools.
- Introduced cricket to over 1200 pupils in P5 & P6 year groups.
- Provided 264 one-hour coaching sessions over 20 weeks.
- Held three festival days attended by 14 schools and 500 pupils
- Delivered afterschool club at Hazelhead primary and lunch club at Kingsford primary.
- Supported cricket games between Hazelhead and Robert Gordons primary schools.
- Supported girls’ cricket between Kingsford and Robert Gordons primary schools.
- Provided cricket coaching sessions at Cults Easter camps.
As a direct result of the Redball programme the Under 11 junior section of Aberdeenshire Cricket club increased by 30 children this summer with 10 girls attending.
Redball has now reached over 4000 school children since its introduction to schools in 2015.